Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSX 2016: PaRappa the Rapper Remastered!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSX 2016: PaRappa the Rapper Remastered!

In case you missed it, Sony Interactive Entertainment announced during the PlayStation Experience 2016 keynote that they are remastering three fan favorites from PlayStation history: PaRappa the Rapper, LocoRoco and Patapon. All three remasters are currently slated for a 2017 release, but you can download a playable demo for PaRappa the Rapper Remastered right now on PlayStation 4!

Here's a link to the U.S. PlayStation Store: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-...US98702PSXDEMO

And for you European folks out there: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-...ES00775PSXDEMO

Leave your feedback on the demo and let me know what you think!

Edit: I played it myself and it contains the entirety of Stage 1: "I Need to Become a Hero!", which is the fast food restaurant cutscenes and Chop Chop Master Onion's Rap. The cutscenes themselves seem to be identical to the original game, perhaps cleaned up a bit to remove the compression artifacting. I haven't played the PSP version of the original game so I can't tell if that version improved the cutscenes but it is clear upon the actual gameplay that the visuals have been updated to better serve HD displays. Sony announced that PaRappa and the previously mentioned LocoRoco and Patapon will be rendered in native 4K which actually seems quite doable considering all three game's simple-looking graphics. Not to diminish the game's art style, of course, it's part of the charm!

I am pleased to see that the timing window for hitting the buttons is more forgiving. If you have played the original PS1 release of PaRappa recently, you will notice that they don't give you much time to match the notes on the beat and that's been fixed. You will occasionally get a "Bad" score if you don't quite hit the notes correctly though. The menus are almost the exact same as the original. There was no options setting in the PS4 version for audio/video calibration so I'll be curious to see how they handle that if it's possible. But after playing the first stage, the game plays great! I'll be curious to see how Sony will price the game since it's so short (six stages in total). Maybe they'll put out a bundle with all three remastered games for $40-60 USD. We'll see!
    Last edited by ecksonik; 12-03-2016, 04:38 PM.

That's cool, I played a little PaRappa on PS2, but I didn't understand at the time that you could press buttons in between to make your own rhythms. I should go back and try it again. I don't have a PS4 so I'll have to hook up my PS2 again.

Comment

Working...
    X